Monday, November 14, 2011

Adventures in Fantasyland

Mads loves a good, quiet background to her nursing. No tube, no talking ...she's quite the demanding diva. But I am not one to sit quietly, un-entertained for an hour during Madi's LONG breastfeeding sessions (Matt thinks I may have ADD and I wouldn't doubt it). The minutes seemed to crawl, although we are getting much better now. So, out of necessity, I hit the books! I have read more over the last 6 months than I have over the last 6 years! It's been such a treat to dive into a great book/series. Nursing has become a pleasure, the time when I escape from reality into my book. I got some great recommendations from the fam (Kristen--Shannon Hale, Kellie--Peter & the Starcatchers series by Dave Barry, Emily--The Help and Moon Over Manifest). Thanks for keeping me stocked in great entertainment. I'm passing along my quick critiques and recommendations. Happy reading!


*The Help by Kathryn Stockett--WONDERFUL book and movie, as everyone well knows


Shannon Hale's books. I've read a tons of them. My fave, by far, was Princess Academy. The Goose Girl and Book of a Thousand Days were also fun!
* Books of Bayern series
o The Goose Girl
o Enna Burning
o River Secrets
o Forest Born
* Princess Academy
* Austenland
* Book of a Thousand Days


*Peter and the Starcatchers Series by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson

The book is followed by three sequels: Peter and the Shadow Thieves (2006), Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (2007), and Peter and the Sword of Mercy (2009). A fifth book titled The Bridge to Neverland was released in September 2011.

Peter and the Starcatchers was a breath of fresh air! I couldn't put it down. This is THE Dave Barry--hilarious! After reading too much flowery Shannon Hale, these boy books were like Christmas. No extensive, cumbersome character descriptions, minimal time in the characters' heads (thinking...sharing thoughts...thinking), these books are all ACTION! They move fast and the plots tie together beautifully at the end. SO MUCH FUN!!! The first is by far the best, but all were enjoyable (except the follow up "Bridge to Neverland" written after the authors had sold their souls to Disney)


*Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

One of my new favorite books. Beautiful in every way! Smart, sweet. Reminded me of the good-reading-feelings I got from To Kill A Mockingbird. I had tears streaming down my face during the entire last chapter as everything tied together and the heart of the story was unveiled. I HIGHLY recommend this book.

But now I need another great book/series! So please keep the tips a'comin!

3 comments:

CK Black Family said...

Hunger Games is a must read. Just saw the preview for the movie and it looks amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips. I am heading to the library tomorrow! (Mom)

Story Family said...

Loved the critques! You have got to check out the Chronicles of Prydain by Loyd Alexander. There are five books in the series and two of them are Newberry Winners. BUT YOU'VE GOT TO LISTEN TO THEM!! Seriously--the reader is SO GOOD. Just check out the CD and download them to your ipod. SO MUCH FUN!!