Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mad's First Fabulous Fall


Life is Good---Life on the Open Road--Paving Trails


Our 10-Mile Adventure to First Dam

Adventure Buddies



Grandma Patsy & Aunt Jenn's "I'm So Cute It's Scary" Halloween Outfit








Happy Halloween 2011

Oh, how we have loved this beautiful autumn season! Alas, the leaves have changed and fallen and winter is already rearing her ugly head. But we will forever cherish our first fall with baby Madi. We walked, and walked, and walked, basking in the beauty of our lovely Logan. The stroller caravan of Mom and Mads + little Lily (the chihuahua)all trooping along, crunching the millions of leaves along our way continually paved new trails, setting up impromptu photo shoots wherever an especially beautiful background appeared. The 3 amigos surprised Daddy/Matty at his U.P.S. hub a few times by popping in to say, "Hello!" We thoroughly enjoy this 8-mile jaunt from our apartment to Dad's work. One especially ambitious day, we got up to the temple and decided to just keep going. We found a trail that connected us down to the "island" and kept traipsing our way up Canyon Rd. We didn't turn around til we reached first dam. We were all starving but wildly thrilled with ourselves upon completing the 10 mile adventure!

On Halloween, I "flew on over" to Wilson Elementary, my beloved old school, to scare the pants of the adorable first graders there as "Gretch the Witch." My marvelous mom was always so sweet to do this for my classes each Halloween. It was always my first graders favorite memory of the school year. I did my best to follow in her footsteps but I in no way measured up to the legendary Gretch. So I was Grutch, her challenged cousin. I was scared to death and nearly had a heart attack before the big performance (the entire grade level of 80 kiddos was waiting for me in the kiva). But we had a blast mixing up our Super Smart Fizzy Bizzy Brew (rootbeer and dry ice concoction). Matt was so sweet to skip out on a class and cheer me on while watching Miss Madi.

For Mad's first Halloween, we didn't pass out or partake of a single piece of candy (not for any noble health reasons). Instead, we went to Chili's and had dinner while watching the Kansas City Chief's football game (one of Matt's favorite teams). I'm sure Madi won't let us get away with that again, but it was so much fun! So much fun it was SPOOOOOKY (thus making it relevant to Halloween)!!!

So now we will hold on to our happy-time fall memories as we get ready to hibernate through winter. Just wake Mama Bear up when it's over (gently).

3 comments:

AmyLou said...

Kaye was the most fabulous Gritch the Witch I have ever seen! (I never got to see Mama Black but I'm sure she was awesome too!) I haven't laughed that hard for a while...you were just what I needed. Thanks!

Story Family said...

Now that's what I'm talkin bout!! I wish the kids would let us go out for dinner and call it good. Can I climb under the covers with you and reemerge in 4 months?

You look great!! 10 miles-- you are awesome!

Kaye and Matthew Hough said...

Oh, good, Amers!I had a blast getting those cuties to squeal in terror and delight.

Kell, let's snuggle up in our Mama Bear den. Daddies, good luck with those naughty cubs! We'll catch ya on the flipside! :)