Monday, August 29, 2011

August 23rd



On August 23rd in Logan School District, all the stressed-out teachers painted on happy smiles to meet the crowds of excited tater-tots, their new families for the next school year. For almost a decade of my life, I was included in this exciting, awful, stressful, wonderful back-to-school day, meeting my students and gearing up for a fabulous first grade year. But this August 23rd, started nice and easy for the Happy Houghs. No hustle-bustle at our little place. Rather than an apple on my desk, Madi gave me the gift of sleeping in until 9:00. We cuddled and smiled at each other as the bus pulled away packed full of adorable, energetic school children. I felt like I was floating on air. Like I'd hit the jack-pot. Better than Christmas morning. Almost guilty for being so giddy. Madi smiled up at me and I thought, "this is a good trade!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every retired teacher loves the first day of school! (Mom)

Anonymous said...

A fine trade indeed. And if that Madi doesn't look as squishy and delightful and delicious in that picture as ever. Yum! (Kell)

EmmaJ said...

What a great first day of school!

AmyLou said...

Well, I sure missed your smiling face and your sweet compliments about how amazing I looked! You always have something so nice to say:) at least I get a little piece of you every day when I walk into our classroom;)